Friday, November 7, 2008

Cantina #1 - Bloomington


I went to check out the new Cantina #1 at the Mall of America on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Usually, I try and avoid the chain restaurants, but on this occasion I was pleasantly surprised. I was totally expecting a super-cheesy Jimmy Buffet cheeseburger in Paradise type joint serving uninspiring mall food. Luckily Cantina #1 blew my low expectations out of the water. The restaurant design will make you feel more like you are in a swank downtown Latin restaurant than the largest indoor mall in America. Don't get me wrong, you still won't forget you are in a Corona owned restaurant, but it is by no means over the top. I ate in one of the hip booths the dining room but next time would opt for a spot at the more cozy tiki bar area. With plenty of large flat-screen TVs this would be an ideal spot to have a cold Corona Extra and watch the game if you don't have Minnesota Timberwolves tickets.
Like most Mexican restaurants we were immediately brought a basket of chips and salsa. The fresh salsa was very good with plenty of cilantro. The chips themselves were a bit average but the salsa made up for it. My favorite part of the meal was the shrimp ceviche appetiser. I would come back just for this. It ended up being a huge portion of shrimp ceviche spilling out of a coconut bowl served with chips. I can't think of a better way to break up a day of shopping than an ice cold margarita and this very satisfying snack. For the main course I went with the fajita platter with a trifecta of shrimp, steak and chicken. I washed it all down with a very tasty margarita on the rocks. Next time I think I will try one of the many tropical drinks on the menu.
Corona's Cantina # 1 is located on the 4th floor on the East side of the Mall of America.

13 comments:

The Mommyhood Project | Cortney Galster said...

Sounds like a great new spot to try, I've heard about it but haven't had a chance to get over there to check it out yet. Also, great recommendation on hanging out there during the games, although I'd probably check it out when I don't have Minnesota Wild tickets!

Stewie123 said...

Let me know what you think if you check it out.

Twin Cities Music Fan said...

Next time you go you have to get a coconut milk margarita! It comes in a coconut and it is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm trying it this weekend!

Stewie123 said...

I didn't look at the drink menu until after I ordered. I will try one next time.

Anonymous said...

i tried this place on your recommendation. it was great, thanks!

Stewie123 said...

I'm glad you liked it!

Unknown said...

I went to Cantina #1 last month. The menu is a bit more complicated than I'm used to. I just want a couple of enchiladas or tacos, and there was a crazy taco salad or something that I didn't bother eating. I got one of the special margaritas and liked my boyfriend's plain margarita much better.

All in all, I'd much rather eat at a family type Mexican restaraunt. If you like sports bars and Mexican food, then this is definitely for you. The atmosphere was not for me.

Stewie123 said...

Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did Leah. I agree that fresh Mexican food at a little mom and pop joint is tough to beat. Do you have any favorites?

Anonymous said...

Was there last weekend. This place is great! Good spot for girls night, I had the fajitas, they were delicious, my friend tried the drink that is made in the coconut and she said it was Good. The DJ was spinning top 40 and had the crowd dancing all ngiht. I just planned a girls night for next weekend here. Cant wait to go back.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but this place is not all it's cracked up to be. If you ever been to an Authentic Mexican restaurant you will know right off the bat this places sucks. The salsa tastes like spaghetti sauce. I order the Walleye dish for 17.99 and it was NASTY!! The peppers on top of the walleye taste like can peppers. My husband ordered the sample platter and he's Mexican and he said it wasn't as good as it could have been. For a place that looks so nice and they should really try to add more Authenticity to their food before they start branding Mexican food. I am being very honest here.

Stewie123 said...

Thanks for your comment. Sorry your experience was so bad. What are some of your favorite Mexican spots?

Anonymous said...

fuimos a la cantina mi hermano y mi amigo ordenamos los tres lo mismo y tu vimos que esperar como cuarenta minutos por la comida y cuando llego la comida el mesero nosdijo que faltaban unas tortillas acabamos de comer y las tortillas nunca llegaron esa fue la primera y la ultima vez nunca mas bamos a volver is not a good place to go