Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Figlio Calhoun Square vs. Zarletti's Milwaukee

A few weeks ago my boss gave me free Timberwolves tickets for their game against the Utah Jazz at the Target Center. However, before we left for the game we decided to go out for some great Italian food in the Minneapolis St. Paul area. After the wait for Amore Victoria was too long, we drove up the road to Figlio’s in Calhoun Square, located in Uptown as well. The food was okay, not one of the better Italian meals that I have had, but you cannot beat Filigo’s drink specials. There are not many Minneapolis Happy Hours that can compete with Figlio’s $2 drinks (that includes wine!) and their $2 appetizers. Their Happy Hours vary, but they have specials every day.


Last week I ventured to Milwaukee and I ate at the best Italian restaurant I have ever been to. Zarletti’s is located in downtown Milwaukee on Mason Street, close to the Milwaukee Athletic Club. It has a nice atmosphere that emits a professional, but not too stuffy, surroundings. The restaurant itself is dimly lit and offers a great selection of fine Italian cuisine. I had an immaculate dish ‘ravioli al fungi’ which was an assortment of mushrooms in a light cream sauce with cheese filled ravioli. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! This restaurant did not feature drink specials or $2 appetizers, but Italian is kind of a ‘you get what you pay for’ cuisine. Zarletti’s cost a little more ($18-$30 a plate) than Figlio’s, but the quality and taste shows. If you are ever in Milwaukee, be sure to stop in!

No comments: